USING FLANAGAN’S FOOTBRIDGE, THE PATH TO AVOID CONFLICT
In our first book, Managing Conflict, Strategies to Create and Teach Resolution of Conflict, the endorsers included such international experts on communication and conflict as Brian Tracy, Chair and CEO of Brian Tracy International, Vic Conant, President of Nightingale-Conant Corporation, and William Ury, co-founder of the Harvard Negotiation Project and co-author of the classic book, Getting to Yes.
- Hello – I am James H. Flanagan, Jr., Esq., a retired Stanford attorney who had a 44-year general law practice and who now writes on the topic of avoidance of conflict, so this website is my author’s platform. See BLOG and BOOKS – the material in those 2 pages are constantly being amended as well as added.
- The basic theme of my blog and books is the avoidance of conflict in communications. I hope that you enjoy them.
- My brand is Dynamic Dialogue which is writing or speaking that is short & simple and honest & to the point.
- I had a tour of active duty in the Marine Corps as a communications officer.
- Over the years I was active in more than 2 dozen community organizations, mostly as president, chair, or board member. I am still active in Rotary as a senior active member, and continue to contribute to the monthly publications of several organizations.
- I have been listed in Who’s Who in the West, in the World, in American Law, & in American Education, and now am being considered for lifetime achievement.
- During my law practice I taught at the university level, creating and teaching courses, including the first dispute resolution course at the Business School at the CA State University, Fresno.
- While teaching, I was a member of the American Business Law Assoc’n (now the Academy of Legal Studies in Business) and presented papers on various aspects of dispute resolution at 5 of its national conventions.
- I was also on the Board of Governors of the CA Trial Lawyers Ass’n, and a member of the American Arbitration Ass’n and the Network of Conflict Resolution.
The purpose of a footbridge is a path to carry people over an obstacle. Remember the Simon & Garfunkel song “The bridge over troubled waters”? FLANAGAN’S FOOTBRIDGE is a path to enable people to overcome or avoid a conflict in their conversations. As you will see in my blogs on this site, I am suggesting a process that will enable people to do just that.